Wisconsin Beer, Bacon, and Cheese Soup
This is a recipe I developed years ago and has been a crowd favorite ever since. - Chef Haberle
*Stay tuned – next week we will post a video of Chef preparing this recipe.
Makes about eight 8 oz bowls
4 oz finely diced bacon
32 oz chicken stock, (College Inn brand is very good)
13 oz heavy cream
4 oz Spanish onion- finely diced
½ tsp thyme
½ pound American cheese
7 oz Yeungling beer or a full bodied beer such as Sam Adams
3 oz butter
2 oz flour
- Fine dice onion.
- Fine dice bacon. This is easier to do if the bacon is frozen.
- In a large pot, render the fat from the bacon.
- Remove the crisp bacon from the grease and save.
- Add the onion to the bacon grease and sweat. About five minutes.
- Add thyme and beer and simmer for five minutes.
- Add chicken stock and heavy cream and simmer for ½ hour.
- Add American cheese, stirring constantly.
- Melt butter and stir in flour to make a roux.
- Bring soup to a simmer, stirring constantly then add roux to thicken.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add reserved bacon bits to soup, then stir well.